JOHN'S LIFE SPACE DISCLAIMER:

"John's Life Space" features a variety of content to many audiences. The majority of content is meant to suit an audience 13 years of age and older. Some material offered in this blog may not be suitable for all audiences and may include some topics too sensitive or discomforting to discuss. All advice offered in this blog is not meant to replace or substitute practical help. If you require counseling or want more professional help, please consult your healthcare provider, a psychologist, or any other qualified individual.

Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Homesickness

John B. Marine | November 29, 2017 | | |
Home is where we are most comfortable. However, what happens when you become homesick? Homesickness is where you miss the comforts of home and miss being home. Even if you don't live in the best of conditions, home is where you are happy and free to relax. Some people become homesick because of their jobs or because of other issues. When you become homesick, it is usually because you miss such comforts wherever in the world you are. I will do my best to discuss homesickness in this blog post and maybe offer some calming thoughts.






Homesickness


This can be a depressing issue to a lot of people. However, I will do what I can to make you feel better, especially if you have experienced this situation. I tried to find an image to set this post up, but I couldn't find a suitable one to identify this post. Sorry...

I often times like to think of people like military members and truck drivers. Such individuals have important jobs, but they often are not able to go home to their families and loved ones. I once researched this topic on my main blog, "John's Blog Space," and some comments I read was that someone gave up being a truck driver because of being away from home so often. One of the toughest feelings is to tell loved ones that you will be away for some time. You know you love people in your life. If you had it your way, you either wish you can be with your family more or even have them go with you (as long as you are having a wholesome occupation). If just to provide a living, you hate to be away from home for longer than needed.

Some people become homesick if in the hospital. People would love to be home rather than be cooped up in a hospital bed. You are certainly in a place of healing when in a hospital. On the other hand, you are missing feeling normal. On November 12, 2017; what was a visit to an emergency care clinic ended up with me having to be transferred to a hospital. I had to have surgery to remove a scrotal abscess followed by fighting a nasty infection. I would have my first ever surgical procedure. As my surgery was complete and that I had to battle an infection, I had to be in the hospital for almost two weeks. I was held over because of concerns of my high white blood cell count. Therefore, I had to remain in the hospital for a few extra days before eventually being discharged on November 24, 2017. All the while, I wanted to be back home and not be strapped to an IV unit. I've been feeling sick all that time. I missed Thanksgiving with my family and perhaps fall into the appeal of Black Friday shopping. The more I wished I could return home amid hopes of being discharged, I was held up more by the hospital. I began to feel emotional one time I thought I was going to be discharged. I was feeling sad that I had to be kept longer. Even still, it was for me to be in good enough condition to be discharged from the hospital. Still- I wanted to be home and do things I love, such as blogging. All the while, missing home and normality. Even as I missed home, my mother still came up to my hospital room consoling me and even kissing me so that I don't lose sight of feeling like I am alone or that I feel hopeless.

There was a point long ago when I was a college student and felt homesick. In 2002, I was admitted to Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, USA. I wanted to pursue a career in the realm of computer art. What was to be a four-year journey only lasted 11 weeks. I had a tough time feeling happy and confident in my career endeavors. People were feeling uncomfortable with me around. I had friends who just didn't care anymore. I basically felt like coming home because I was just too caught up trying to make friends and have fun. I never said I said the right things or did the right things all the time. However, I just felt like my attempt to try to get a good education and be independent was an absolute failure. So I was thankful to return home to Houston. Even at times, I was thankful my parents would visit me in a two-hour drive from my Houston home.

What if you don't have a place to call home? Maybe you were kicked out of your house or don't have a home to go to. Maybe you had a home... until you lost everything. Can you be homesick if you are homeless? More than likely- yes. If you don't have a home, you certainly can feel terribly homesick because you don't have a home, and you probably don't know what comforts home offers. This is probably the worst feeling overall because


The thing to take away from homesickness is that we miss being away from home. In being away from home, many of the comforts are taken away. Those comforts help us feel better about ourselves.




Homesickness: Final Thoughts


We become so spoiled about home that we miss home when out and about. Depending on what life is like away from home, we miss being home for a number of reasons. Most of us are away from home because we have jobs to do and livings to maintain and sustain. It is perfectly fine to miss home, but you shouldn't let being homesick take over your mind. It is never easy to try to fight off being homesick. Try to focus on the task at hand if you are away from home. Try also to keep yourself physically and mentally healthy. If your situation doesn't allow you to return home, just remain hopeful you will get that opportunity to return home to refresh your mind. Always be strong and don't missing let the comforts of home take over your mind or ruin your focus from your job. Homesickness is not an easy feeling, but it could get much worse when all you think about is returning home regardless of your occupation or with some other issues.


In Case You're Wondering...

I discussed this post in my main blog before. To read my other post on homesickness, visit the following link: "Homesickness" on John's Blog Space.




Homesick Resources


(NOTE: This section was taken from my "John's Blog Space" blog post on the same topic. Some of this material may be outdated and links may not work since this is from an old blog post.)

Are you or someone you know homesick? I have pulled a few different resources from off the Internet to help you out. I hope you can use these resources and more to help you out:

Homesickness is a longing to be near your sources of happiness
Lee's Homesickness As A Military Man Reflects Today's Soldiers' Feelings
Homesickness - kidshealth.org
"It's My Life . Friends , Summer Camp . Homesickness" - pbskids.org

"6 ways to deal with being homesick at college" - xatal.com
College Student Homesickness - About.com
Homesickness isn't really about 'home' - CNN Health

No Need to Be Homesick – Local Trucking

How to Deal with Homesickness at Basic Training - militaryspot.com


I hope I can find more resources for people taking on homesickness. I really want to feel like I am actually helping people rather than just post a bunch of stuff online expecting people to care.





That is all from me here. I'm glad you found my post and my blog. Want to discuss this topic? Here is a question for you:

How do you deal with homesickness? Or have you ever been homesick?

I will do what I can to give back and offer positive material with this blog. Thank you for reading! Take care and be well.

Subscribe to My Blog(s), and/or Follow on Bloglovin!
Subscribe to John's Blog Space (JBS) Subscribe to John's Creative Space (JCS) Subscribe to John's Race Space (JRS) Subscribe to StyleSpace (SS) Subscribe to John's Life Space (JLS)
Support My Creative Works!
JMDesigns Patreon Soundcloud Bandcamp Twitch OpenGameArt TurboSquid
Get Social With Me!
Facebook (Friends) Facebook (Fans) Twitter YouTube Instagram Google+ LinkedIn (professionals only)
Questions or Comments? Contact Me (serious inquiries only)...
Contact Me via E-Mail




Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2015 John's Life Space • All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger